Sunday, September 12, 2010

MPM # 19

Another Sunday night and we're getting back into the usual routine of being home. As I sat typing up our menu, I realized I had to change a few things around. First, I couldn't find an 'easy, uncomplicated' crock pot lasagne. I just want simple - I don't want to precook the pasta and I certainly don't want to vent this or that. I just want to dump all the ingredients in and walk away; that's a beef of mine with crockpots tho' - the whole point is simple, one pot EASY dinners and so many of the recipes I find are uber complicated and time consuming. I have 15 minutes to get it ready before I leave for work; I don't want to take time. That's why so many of the recipes I do use in our crockpot get used over and over in my menu planning - they are simple and easy and quick!

Second, I had nothing on the menu for this past Sunday night so I robbed the chicken dish from the coming week. I want to make a chicken pot pie but it again has to be simple and easy. I'll have to do some looking this week and I'll share if I find anything.

And speaking of chicken, a few weeks ago, I posted the Frog's BBQ recipe. That same night, I also harvested some peas, beans and potatoes from our garden and served with the grilled chicken. I took a quick snapshot of the meal that night and I'm finally getting around to sharing it! The chicken was tender and moist and the new garden vegetables were DELICIOUS!












Here is our week at a glance As always, underlined items have the recipes posted below
September 13 to September 19
Monday Crockpot Lasagne, Caesar Salad & Garlic toast
Tuesday Swiss Steak & egg noodles
Wednesday Tuna Wraps & Chicken Noodle Soup
Thursday Something with Chicken (may pot pie?)
Friday Take Out!
Saturday Crockpot Meatballs & mashed potatoes
Sunday Roast Beef with potatoes & vegetables

Breakfasts
Farmer's Breakfast, Bacon & Eggs, Muffins & Cheese, Toast, Cereal, Bagels

Lunches
Alphagettis, leftover pizza, grilled cheese

Hope you have a great week and check out more Menu Plan Monday cooking and meal planning ideas over at Org Junkie!




Crock pot Meatballs
Use your favourite meatball recipe (or use prepared meatballs) put in the crock pot RAW (that's right, you don't have to precook your meatballs for this recipe!)!

2 cans mushroom soup
3/4 cup water
1 can mushrooms (if desired)
1 package of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix

Add soups, water, mushrooms and soup mix to crock pot, stir well and then add your meatballs. Turn on low and cook all day. Delicious served over egg noodles!

Lasagne
1 lb hamburger
1 jar pasta sauce
1 medium onion, chopping
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 can mushrooms, drained & rinsed
spinach, thawed and drained
mozza cheese - shredded (lots of it)
9 oven ready lasagne noodles

Scramble fry hamburger, when nearly done, drain well add onion, mushrooms, garlic and celery. Saute until pink is gone and veggies are tender. Add spaghetti sauce and spinach, bring to a light boil. Add spices - oregano, basil, parsley, season salt, garlic powder, pepper - generous 'sprinkles' of each (probably 1/2 to 1 tsp of each - except pepper - about 1/4 tsp of pepper).

Layer in 8x8 glass baking dish:
sauce, 3 noodles (broken to fit), more sauce & meat & cheese. Repeat alternating direction of noodles. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove cover and bake 1/2 hour more.

*I usually make my own sauce using this excellent recipe Homemade Spaghetti Sauce. I often use my own home grown tomatoes - I wash the tomaotes when ripe and freeze on cookies sheets. When frozen, I toss about 10 in a bag and then thaw for a day in the fridge. They then get mooshy enough to squeeze out of their skins and they yield about the amount of canned tomatoes called for in the recipe mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...