Monday, July 19, 2010

MPM#11



Our camping weekend was a success! Our first trip out in the Motorhome (now known as “MH”) is usually good but often we’ve forgotten to “reload” some essential supply or realize we forgot things like blankets or soap, but this trip, the only ‘forgotten’ things were:

Peanut butter
Jam
Hot chocolate
TroubleMaker’s Toothpaste

That is pretty good! Also nothing broke or wore out, which is also very good! Our first trip last summer (summer ’09) saw us break a vent cover (and of course, it rained most of the weekend) and the valve on the propane tank stripped (and caused a leak which my Hubby and Step Dad were able to ‘fix’ for the weekend). Although we did have a teensy issue with the coach battery (it was dead) my Hubby was able to fix it before we left, but not before he nearly sawed his thumb off in the process.

So one quick panic attack from me (and yes, folks, I’m a certified First Aider), several rounds of “Hizzzz zat?” from TroubleMaker in response Hubby’s trail of blood and one very large bandage later, we were off!

We arrived without incident at Miquelon Lake Provincial Park and then Hubby whacked his other thumb on some unknown object and was bleeding, again…

The weekend went well, we relaxed, we played in the dirt, chased TroubleMaker out of 1000 different puddles and swatted 1, 645, 234 mosquitoes. One nice thing about Alberta in the summertime is spontaneous weather (torrential downpours, sun, more rain, sun, thunder that scares the dead, more sun, more rain, repeat) and mosquitoes. I think we won the battle this weekend; and although I’ve got a couple of bites, TroubleMaker won the swatting war and has finally realized the benefit of insect repellent. He now knows trips outside do not happen unless he’s got “sun-skeen n’ bug spay”!

Our camping menu was altered slightly as we just warmed up a can of the Chef for dinner on Thursday. I always seem to forget how tiring the first day out is – packing 17 laundry baskets of clothing and toys for TroubleMaker to the MH will do that, I suppose… I made potato salad while we were out camping too and I’m a little less than impressed that the silly fridge froze the remainder!

The other thing I must mention is my birthday. On Tuesday, I turned 36. I told Hubby “do nothing – we’ll warm pasta up for dinner” since we had a great trip planned for the weekend and money is tight… I got home shortly after 4pm and I walk into the house and am met with silence. Deafening silence. No dog barking, no kid trying to climb on me – nothing. Even the Cat was MIA. I wait for a minute and listen – nothing. Then I hear a door in the basement “ah… Here it comes.” And again nothing but my darling, sweet husband coming up the stairs. Alone. By himself. He explains that he arranged for my parents to take TroubleMaker and Max for the evening so we could go out to dinner!

Many thanks to my Dad & Step Mom who always help out and an endless supply of kisses and adoration for my Hubby. Just when I think I’ve got things all figured out, you always change the rules and keep me guessing… I love you and thank you for your love.

Here is this week’s menu! (I’ll update tonight and add a few recipe links, I left the actual menu pinned to the fridge and can’t remember it all)

July 19 to July 25
Monday Perogies & Sausage
Tuesday Slow cooker Swiss Steak (see below for recipe)
Wednesday Slow cooker sweet & sour turkey meatballs with rice
Thursday BBQ Pork Chops with grilled veggies
Friday Nachos
Saturday Slow cooker sweet & sour turkey meatballs with rice
Sunday

Lunches
Leftover pizza, cottage cheese, yogurt and granola bars

Breakfasts
Homemade "Eggos", bagels & cream cheese, Banana muffins & cheese cubes, Toast, Bacon & Eggs

Hope you have a great week and for more Menu Plan Monday cooking and meal planning ideas, head over to Org Junkie!

Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
1 pound of steak, cut into 1/2 strips
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika

Combine flour & seasonings in large bag. Toss to combine. Add steak pieces and shake to coat all. Turn contents into a crock pot.

28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 can mushrooms, drained & their juices
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup ketchup
3 tsp beef boullion

In a bowl, combine the above ingredients and pour over the dredged steak pieces. Turn crock pot on 'low' and cook 7 to 9 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.

1 cup sour cream

During last 1/2 hour of cooking, add one cup of sour cream. Stir to combine.

Serve over plain rice or egg noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...