Wednesday, April 27, 2011

We-Design-Day: Project Design Boards

This week, I want to show you a set of complete design board from my final project at design school. I scored very high on this project (my recollection is 98%) – it was a combination of good design, adhering to the clients “Wish List”, a strong presentation, eye catching theme and striking design boards. This is one of my key portfolio pieces – although I’ve worked on commercial, residential and institutional projects since my graduation, this project is still one of the highlights of my career as a designer. Perhaps it was because I’m very outdoorsy and I “clicked” with the project (Jasper National Park is my second home) or because I truly believed in what I presented. For me, it captures the intent of creating an accurate and realistic portrayal of Jasper 400 kilometers away in an airport terminal.

Revisiting these boards, there are a couple things I’d change – mostly, it was in the presentation. First, if I could do it over, I’d change the title block. My lines around the board aren’t all even (which really bugs me now) and I’d include my updated logo. I think I’d also upgrade the finishes, however, I do recall being limited to what was in Sample Library at my college. I think I’d also remount the menu – the interior isn’t captured here – the interior is linen paper with torn edges that I carefully stained to present an antique look replicating what kind of menu may have been available 100 years ago at the Jasper Park Lodge.

That said; let’s go through the boards and explain what each one is and why it's important to a project.

Floor Finish Plan: There are various types of flooring used in a commercial space, all of which must be durable, resilient and aesthetically pleasing. Transitions should be seamless and it’s important to get the flow correct from space to space.
Photobucket

Furniture Layout: I had a programme that defined how many seats they needed. The client also expressed a desire for different groupings, enclosed/private rooms, bar seating and a ‘dining’ zone as well as a more formal, longer stay dining area.
Photobucket

Reflected Ceiling Plan: This included architectural design with transition and elevation changes coupled with fixed ceilings and dropped ceilings. I also had to add mechanical components (return and supply air, fire and safety) and electrical details – lighting (ambient, task and accent) and communications systems.
Photobucket

Elevations: Elevations are flat, two dimension drawings that further work to illustrate your design. Again, this can all be CAD generated and now, CAD rendered too. They can be further tweaked with other graphic software too (Illustrator comes to mind). They are an important tool for helping your Client realize and understand your proposal. I have two boards in this project with elevations and I even snuck on an extra perspective drawing. If I recall, part of the reason was the river stone ceiling – my prof wanted “proof of concept” – she needed to make sure what I was proposing was feasible and wouldn’t look “weird”. With new faux-stones, it is a very real and plausible application.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Design Tip: Think outside normal – that’s how trends are built.

Perspectives: This where your design can “pop” and sell itself. All the finish boards and floor plans can’t sell your design like a three dimensional image. Frankly, I’ve done better perspectives than these – drawing isn’t really my forte but they were strong enough to “sell” the concept. Now, with CAD and great 3D modeling programs, doing things “by hand” are virtually a thing of the past. However, the know-how of hand drawing perspectives or isometrics is invaluable if you are trying to help a client understand something on the on the spot. A quick 3D sketch in a notebook can finalize a Client’s understanding of your concept.
Photobucket

Fixtures: This is where you are making your design concrete. Here you want to illustrate real, available products or concept sketches to have millwork fabricated. If you can’t find it – design it – but make sure your budget will allow for the special costs of creating a “one of”.
Photobucket

Finishes: These are the most commonly seen and used boards in interior design and interior decorating. This board is valuable in the sense that it provides the Client with a touchable product. Many people are very tactile and having this available to them is important. Most of the government projects I’ve worked on develop three of these – one for the client, the property manager and one for the architect who uses it to specify the finishes to the trades people.

Photobucket

Other: Depending on the project, you may be asked to do anything from logo creation to menu design. I've done merchandising for a couple of projects - do only what your are comfortable undertaking and know when it's best to refer the Client to another professional.
Photobucket

If you'd like to see the boards in more detail, I've created a slide show of the larger photographs of the boards. Just click below to take it to a full screen image.




A big thank you to my husband who photographed the boards for me! Images and the work contained on the boards are protected by Copyright. No reproductions or recreation of the work should be done without consent of Blue Door Interiors Inc. or Blackstone Images Ltd.

2 comments:

  1. Nice design project! You must have had a great Interior Design instructor! Cough, cough.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe... Yes, I had the most fabulous instructor - she taught me well and is likely one of the key reasons I'm so successful in my career today! ;) Thanks for popping in, S!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...