Monday, August 1, 2011

Menu Plan Monday - Back on the Wagon


I've been slack lately with a good many things... Menu planning, my participation in the 52 Week Organizing Project, blogging in general, housework, eating healthy... I'm just sitting back watching the world run by and the summer zoom past.

I'm not exactly sure where I got derailed but I'm completely off the rails.

There hasn't been a menu on our fridge since the first week in July! I haven't really organized anything in three weeks (although I did move the stuff from Week 28 twice in the past two days) and I just remembered I was going to wash towels and sheets today...

What I have I been doing?

Eating dinner in front of the television, trying to not sweat my face off, remodeling our basement and preparing to start a new job. I've also been staying up way too late chatting with friends, starting blog posts (but not finishing them) and daydream shopping on line. Pssssttttt! My fellow Canadians, did you know that Amazon.ca is FINALLY starting to sell some of the wicked cool stuff in Canada that they've offered for years to the US shoppers!?

On Sunday morning, my husband very bravely offered to go to the store and get a few groceries... So in two minutes, I sat down and planned a menu on the back of the grocery list and off he went.

Guess what?

I tossed the grocery list and receipt when I put the groceries away. What were we having? I don't remember. Neither does my husband. And if I ask TroubleMaker, he'll just tell me macaroni. So it will be another pieced together, use up stuff in the house menu. I dislike "winging" it. I am not a fly by the seat of their pants kind of girl. When it comes to food, I am very serious and without a menu, I'm LOST!

So here is another "toss together in 2 minute menu" that challenges my brainpower late this Monday night... For more organized and less chaotic menus, check out the Org Junkie's Menu Plan Monday and borrow a bit of sanity today!

August 1 to 7
Monday Crispy Breaded Chicken Breasts with Caesar Salad
Tuesday Homemade hamburgers and chips
Wednesday Tuna Salad Sandwiches
Thursday Crock pot roast beef sandwiches (? - don't know if I've got a roast to make)
Friday Hot dogs and smokies
Saturday ~unknown~ my parents are moving and my husband will be helping - don't know when he'll be home
Sunday grilled chicken breasts with bbq vegetables

Crispy Breaded Chicken Breasts
For a long time, I've been seeking an alternative to commercial chicken coating product. I don't like the tasted, don't like the chemicals and all the salt! Through trial and error, I've come up with one that we all agree is tasty, light and super easy to make. I hope you enjoy!

2 to 3 cups corn flakes
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp pepper
dash or two of Chipolte seasoning
1 tsp basil
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp oregano

Place all ingredients into a large ziploc bag. Squeeze out all air and crush with a rolling pin until very fine crumbs remain.

Pour about 1/2 of the mixture into a large pie pan. In a separate bowl, whip one egg with about 2 tbsp of milk.

Dip chicken pieces (I only use boneless, skinless chicken breasts) into milk/egg mixture. Piece meat several times, turning to coat. Transfer to pie pan filled with crumbs. Turn and coat well with coating mix.

Transfer to an open baking rack placed on a lined cookie sheet. This step is essential to getting the crunch all the way around the meat.

Repeat with all chicken.

Bake in a 400 to 425 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is done (pieces with bone will take longer).

Serve hot with a fresh salad or other sides of your choice.

This recipe will do two to three batches of breasts for us (about 6 large breasts). I store in an air tight bag in the cupboard and I've yet to have it stale, however, we eat chicken at least once a week and would guess I use it up in about 2 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...