Friday, June 28, 2013

Today's Stress: haircuts

Most people who know me have come to learn I have a very serious dislike of getting my hair done. I hate the idea of spending hours making chit-chat with someone I have nothing in common with, I hate the idea of having to take time to do it and I hate the fact it never, ever comes out as I expect.

In the past (almost) 10 years, I've burned through half a dozen salons. I go through phases where I don't care about the grey in my hair, the split ends or the fact I wear it up ALL THE TIME. Since last summer, it's excruciatingly painful to flat iron my very curly, very unruly hair so I don't, unless it's a very special occasion.

But it's too long again and it needs a cut. And a style. And a colour. I really like the idea of the finished product, it's getting there that's the problem. I'm introverted and I find it painful to go in and say "I want x, y, z done, please." I know it sounds stupid but it's my phobia and I own it. It is also the primary reason I've spent the majority of my life (since I was 13 years old) cutting my own hair.

But I can't cut it now so I have to go elsewhere. The length is annoying because I have to put it up at night (braid) but that means pain. My husband offered to learn to braid it for me, but that just seems cruel and another task on his already unending list of 'things to do'.

*sigh*

Total first world problems and I own that too. I just hate the stress and anxiety I feel over doing it. It's dumb, I know, and I will at the very least get it cut today (at one of the 'walk-in' places) but I'd really like to feel 'pretty' when I walk out and I got the idea in my head I should colour my hair. I have a 'year before a big' birthday in a couple weeks and although the idea of turning 40 doesn't really bother me, the idea that I'm OLD does.

I'm really a very complicated person. Or perhaps, more accurately, I'm just a person who makes simple things complex.

Edited to add I just booked in at an Ultracuts after the first four salons couldn't accommodate me. I certainly hope I don't live to regret this...


2 comments:

  1. Last time it was easy for me, becasue it turned out that the women cutting my hair played the same video games. Boom! Instant conversation topic.

    But I hear ya big time. You know what my weird hang up is? I hate Hate HATE answering the phone when I don't know who it is. I tell poeple I am just screening my calls but in reality I just can't pick it up.

    I mean, it could be anybody! It could be a murderer or an alien or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or worse, it could be a murderous alien who is trying to sell you body bags!

      You just never know, you just never know...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...