Sunday, August 22, 2010

MPM # 16

TroubleMaker is sleeping on my husband's chest as I type this up - we got home earlier today from a fantastic four day camping trip to Elk Island National Park with my Dad & step Mom and all my siblings. The weather was cool but nice (save for the smoke that blew in from the raging forest fires in the neighbouring province) and we laughed and had so much fun... Both TroubleMaker and I said to my husband at different times while packing up this morning "I don't want to go home!"

I laughed so hard, the tears rolled down my cheeks and we ate until I thought I'd explode! We ran around and played like kids - and our kids (there are four grandchildren between the 5 of us kids) ran and screamed and played until they'd run in to the campsite in need of a drink. Then they were off again!

Sometime on Friday afternoon, we set up the badminton net and hilarity ensued. Our best was 31 consecutive hits - I was sure we'd get a Guinness Record if we tried long enough... But there doesn't appear to be a record for the number of times a team can hit a shuttlecock back and forth. Go figure!

Here is our week at a glance!
August 23 to August 29
Monday Fried Egg Sandwiches
Tuesday Perogies & Sausage
Wednesday Grilled Chicken & Corrie's Spanish Rice
Thursday Tacos (this recipe is a link to 'make your own' recipe for taco seasoning mix)
Friday Easy Hot Wings , Veggies & Dip, Coyote fritters
Saturday Honey Chipolte Ribs
Sunday Homemade Pizza with this crust
I add: 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp of oregano or Italian Seasoning to yeast mixture - YUM!

Breakfasts
Cereal, toast, bagels, muffins, bacon & eggs!

Hope you have a great week and check out more Menu Plan Monday cooking and meal planning ideas over at Org Junkie!






Corrie's Spanish Rice
I made this up one night when I became disgruntled with the sodium levels of most 'prepared' Spanish Rice mixes. We like "spicy" so tone it down as preferred by your taste.
1 green onion, sliced
2 tbsp celery leaves
1 can, no sodium diced tomatoes (further chopped with a pair of clean kitchen sheers)
1 cup water
2 tbsp Victorian Epicure Fruit Salsa spice
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp salt
2-1/2 cups Instant Rice

Put first 7 ingredients in a medium sauce pan, bring to a boil and remove from heat. Add rice and let stand 5 minutes. Stir and let stand and additional 3 minutes or until tender.

Coyote Fritters
1 can whole kernel corn
milk
1-1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
salt & pepper to taste
1 egg, beaten
oil

Drain corn, reserve the liquid. Add enough milk to the corn liquid to equal one cup. Stir together the dry ingredients. Combine egg, milk mixture and corn; add to the dry ingredients. Mix just until moistened. Carefully drip batter by the tablespoon full into hot oil. Fry for about two minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Yield: about 14 fritters

Photobucket

Ok - I know I used this picture last week but it still has just as much impact for me today as it did when my Husband (Blackstone Images) first showed it to me. It is so amazing and I can't thank him enough for his hard work!

1 comment:

  1. your canning works looks awesome! also coyote fritters sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...