Thursday, February 10, 2011

Recipe Swap Thursday: Alberta Beef Cheesesteak Subs

Since I started seriously blogging in May, one thing came to my attention: I wasn't creating very much in the kitchen. I'd defaulted to a few tried and true recipes and opted for simplicity instead of creativity.

A few months ago, I decided to take that leap back to kitchen creativity and 94% of the things I've attempted have been really good. The other 5% were 'good'. This weekend, I created that one dish, that rare and elusive 1%, that is unbelievably fantastic, sell it to a restaurant good. I'm a good cook, of this I have no doubt, but this weekend, I excelled to Awesome Cook. I might have to make myself a badge...

This idea came to me as I didn't want what I'd planned. A quick trip to the bakery for fresh sub buns and one half hour prep and cooking time (plus Garlic Chipolte Mayo chilling time), and it was an easy, simple, have on hand dinner.

Without further self-adulation, I'm very, very pleased and proud to present...

Premium Edmonton Cheesesteak Subs with Garlic Chipolte Mayo

Photobucket

Ingredients
Filling:
1 pound Sirloin Steak (or the most tender cut available to you)
1/2 red pepper, julienned
1/2 green pepper, julienned
1/2 yellow pepper, julienned
1/2 medium white onion, sliced into rings
4 very large mushrooms, halved and then sliced thin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp Seasoned salt

1 tbsp olive oil

Mozzarella cheese

Garlic Chipolte Mayo:
1/4 to 1/3 cup Miracle Whip Dressing (or mayonnaise)
2 tsp minced garlic or 2 to 3 fresh cloves, minced
Dash + of Chipolte Seasoning

Method
-Toss steak in freezer for up to 40 minutes to firm it up before slicing thin. (when I made ours, it was mostly frozen as I decided late in the day to make this dish)
-While steak is chilling, slice vegetables and set aside.
-Combine mayo, garlic & Chipolte seasoning in a dish. Refridgerate 1 hour (or more), then remove when you start cooking to allow it to blend. Stir occasionally.
- When steak is sufficiently chilled, slice steak into thin strips
-Heat olive oil in a cast iron pan. When very hot, toss in all your steak. Pan sear, then turn down heat. Add mushrooms and onions. Saute 2 to 3 minutes. If steak is nearing 'done' (meaning just a thin thread of pink), add peppers and seasoning. Toss and continue cooking on med-low. Cover with a lid.
-Slice buns and put on a cookie sheet. Preheat broiler to "low".
-Spread a generous amount of Garlic Chipolte Mayo on bottom half of bun and a thin layer on top.
-Toss meat mixture and then divide equally onto three sub buns. Top meat size with thinly sliced mozzarella cheese.
-Place under broiler until cheese melts and starts to brown.

Remove, close, slice and serve. Makes 6 servings (1/2 a sandwich each).

Part of what made this meal absolutely fantastic was the Premium Alberta Beef we are able to get at our local butcher, Beverly Meats. As a former vegetarian, I can tell you that if you start eating meat again, seek a local butcher who sells locally grown product. You cannot go wrong. We've never had a tough cut and his prices are competitive with, if not better, than the local chain store price and the quality is out of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...