Wednesday, May 4, 2011

We-Design-Day: Pulling it (all) Together

The past couple of weeks, I’ve felt like I’ve been spinning my wheels and making no progress. Life has a way of doing that, I suppose, but when one is trying to document and record that life (or part of it) there isn’t any room for hiccups!

I truly admire the bloggers who write and create every day. For those parent bloggers who do that, hat’s off – I don’t know how they do it! For working outside of the home, parent bloggers who write and create every day – when do you sleep?!

As a full time employed outside of the home, Mommy blogger – I’m always behind with my (self-imposed) blogging deadlines. One week, I feel like my head is above water, the next week, I’m drowning and the third week; I say “bugger it!” and try to start fresh. I’m presently in the “bugger it” week but am trying to keep up enough to keep my own weekly serial going! But it’s hard – not give up and quit altogether but almost to the point of asking myself why I’m bothering?

Initially, the We-Design-Day series had a 12 week schedule. It had been my intention to do ‘it all’ in 12 weeks and then I’d move onto the next project. As you can well imagine, that did not happen – and honestly, is likely still 12 weeks to completion (I don’t want to give myself an ‘out’ but it likely could be 12 weeks until I even get started).

Last night, my parents came in after their month long holiday in the States – with tales of awesomeness and excitedness about their new future (they bought a home in Palm Springs and will be wintering there) so they are in the process of downsizing their home here. We excitedly shared plans and I had to sheepishly admit that I was nowhere near ready to even begin our renovations – even though I’ve already started planning the next renovation! I should be ready! I should be knocking down walls! I can’t imagine what I’d be thinking right now if this was a ‘work’ project and my consultant had gotten me nothing but preliminary drawings and talks of big plans.

I really, really, really want to grab some tools and start knocking things down!

But first things first. I need to finish the floor plans and layouts and get my preliminary budget together. Next must come the construction schedule followed by my detailed cost estimate.

This week, I've got my "95% Constructions Drawings" ready for presentation. My finish board is still in the works and I've also got my preliminary budget together.

First, let's remember that my budget for this project is $2000. My initial estimate already has me over budget. I've trimmed and revised but to get what we need and want, this is what I need (at a minimum). I found some linoleum floors I really, really wanted but the cost was far more than I could spend... So I must compromise and settle for some sheet flooring. I'm not usually one to sacrifice something like that - real lino is sustainable, ecofriendly and has an incredible life-cycle cost - but for the 140 sq ft I'd need, I can't justify using more than 1/3 of our budget! The electrical requirements and the furniture for a function studio for me is far more important.
Project Cost Estimate
I've also attached my preliminary floor plans. I use an older version of the (drafting) software at home so I had some issues editing the drawings (since I wasn't able to get them all completed during my lunch hour). I also neglected to send home my business logo file so it's missing. But this presents the idea well enough. I've reviewed them with my husband and there are already changes from what I presented.

Click Here to see the Complete Collection

I'm hoping I'm on my way to getting back on track for next week... Soon, I'll have hammer in hand and I'll be truly on my way to finishing this project!

Have a great We-Design-Day and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...