Thursday, November 3, 2011

NaBloPoMa: Hot Topics

I have, as a rule, tried to keep my personal beliefs on certain topics out of my blog. My beliefs are mine and I do not expect anyone to agree with me - that's why beliefs are opinions and not facts.

That said, this morning, upon logging into my Facebook account, one of my favourite politician's (doesn't that sound like an oxymoron) status was
Now I'm getting guff from the other side because I said I don't like abortion. Does anyone who's ProChoice, as I am, really LIKE abortion? Justin Trudeau


I do not know the full context of the conversation and nor does it matter (to me). What got me thinking were the the fact that the Federal leaders of this country would take the stance that because one supported abortion, one would there for like and support the procedure. And because Mr. Trudeau said he didn't LIKE abortion, he's being criticized because how can his dislike of abortion still translate his support of a woman's right to chose. As I said before, beliefs are opinions so they don't matter but I wondered how common it was for ProChoicer's to LIKE abortion. Would it be possible? Should it be possible?

Regardless of one's opinion (pro choice or not), I always thought and assumed that abortion was not a happy thing to undertake. No one should like abortion, no one seeks out pregnancy so that they can have an abortion. It is an invasive, medical procedure.

As it stands, I think it is completely rational and logical to be ProChoice and not like abortion. The two do not go hand in hand and nor should they. It has been decided that part of living in Western, Americanized society is that we are free to make choices for ourselves - whether or not anyone else agrees with them. These freedoms do not only apply to this topic.

It is likely a circular argument, much like abortion itself and in the end, no one really wins so is it worth arguing about anyway?


PS I am in no way wanting to start or engage in a debate. This post is simply an observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...